UGC REGULATIONS ON CURBING THE MENACE OF RAGGING IN HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS, 2009.
1. PREAMBLE: In view of the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court dated 8.05.2009 and in consideration of the determination of the Central Government and the University Grants Commission to prohibit, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging.
2. OBJECTIVE: 1 To eliminate ragging in all its forms from universities, deemed universities and other higher educational institutions in the country by prohibiting it under these Regulations, preventing its occurrence and punishing those who indulge in ragging as provided for in these Regulations and the appropriate law in force.
3. WHAT CONSTITUTES RAGGING?
1.Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student
2. Indulging in a rowdy or undisciplined activity which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or Psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student.
3. Asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not o in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or Psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
UGC is taking actions as per the Regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in higher educational institutions, 2009.
The following measures have been undertaken by the UGC:-
a. UGC has constituted Coordination Committee and Inter Council Committee for affective measures of anti-ragging in Higher Educational institutions.
b. . UGC (Promotion of equity), Regulations, 2012.
c. Circulars and public notices have been issued to stop the ragging in the institutions of Higher Education. The Higher Education institutions have been requested to organize debates etc. for ragging control.
The Commission has made it mandatory for all institutions to incorporate in their prospectus the directions of the Government regarding prohibition and consequences of ragging.
d.A nationwide toll free 24x7 anti ragging helpline 1800-180-5522 in 12 languages has been established which can be accessed by students in distress owing to ragging related incidents. UGC has also developed the Anti Ragging Mobile Application for filing the complaint on ragging, filing the affidavit and for calling the Toll Free Anti Ragging Helpline Number and same may be downloaded from Google Play Store.
e. UGC has developed the Anti Ragging website i.e. www.antiragging.in. The portal contained record of registered complaints received and the status of the action taken thereon. Secretary, UGC sends the circular twice a year regarding strict compliance of UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in higher educational institutions.
Details of the action taken against the complaints is also available at the website www.antiragging.in & www.amanmovement.org
From time to time the UGC has also issue Public Notice in leading national newspapers to make awareness about the ragging.
The 3rd Amendment of UGC Regulations on “Curbing the menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2016 ,according to this:
Any act of physical or mental abuse (including bullying and exclusion) targeted at another student (Fresher or otherwise) on the ground of colour, race, religion, caste, ethnicity, gender (including transgender), sexual orientation, appearance, nationality, regional origins, linguistic identity, place of birth, place of residence or economic background.
ADIMINISTRATIVE ACTION IN THE EVENT OF RAGGING:
The institution shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed here in under: The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision, in regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely;
a) Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
b) Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
c) Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation process.
d) Withholding results.
e.Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
f) Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
g) Cancellation of admission.
h) Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to four semesters.
i) Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
In pursuance of UGC guideline, Ambedkar College has formed Anti Ragging Cell in the year 2013. The College ensures that the congenial and welcoming environment is given to the freshers. Ragging is totally prohibited in Ambedkar College, inside and / or outside the campus and anyone found guilty of ragging and / or abetting ragging whether actively or passively, or being a part of conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished in accordance with UGC Regulations as well as under the provisions of any penal law for the time being in force.
The formation of the committee for the current session as resolved in the last General meeting held is as follows
Nodal Officer : Jacinta Z. Darlong, Assistant Prof. English
Member : Sri Tapas Kr Bhowmik, PGT Political Science.
Functions of Anti Ragging Cell of Ambedkar College:
- To ensure compliance with the provision of UGC regulation at the institute level.
- To monitor regularly and prevention of ragging in the institution.
- To look after any incident of ragging and conduct on the spot enquiry to such incident.
Helpline number of Ambedkar College:
TOLL FREE NUMBER:1800-180-5522